It’s the season to streamline my bee yard. This colony failed to requeen itself after a split, so I combined it with a queenright nuc made from a spring split. I used the newspaper method with a purchased nuc introduction board between the nuc and the established colony. (Save yourself some money and a little disappointment and cut one out of 1/4″ plywood). I will check it in a few days to see that the bottom colony has accepted the new queen. With any luck, they’ll be a strong, united colony for fall.
This colony was not so lucky. Its queen either mated poorly or not at all and became a drone layer. Because the eggs were laid singly and in the center of both worker and drone cells, I concluded they were laid by a queen and not a laying worker. A queen cell from earlier in the season can be seen at the lower center of the frame, with drone cells to the right. Curiously, a sister colony in the same yard mated well and is developing nicely, so poor weather was not likely the culprit. This handful of bees was shooed out and will hopefully be able to beg a new home at their sisters’ hive.